Why Learn Hebrew?
There are several good reasons to learn a little Hebrew:
- In your personal Bible study, knowing some of the Hebrew words from which the English words were translated can often lead to additional insights.
- Knowing a little Hebrew can be of great help if you ever travel to Israel.
Consider this verse found in the New King Jame Version which reads
For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, that they all may call on the name of the Lord, to serve Him with one accord. Zephaniah 3:9
Do you suppose that the "pure language" might be Hebrew?
There are many tools on-line to help you learn the alphabet and how to count. Here are just a few:
- Animated Hebrew Alephbet song on YouTube
- Concise Reference Document from Judaism 101
- Cute video of people from 1 to 100 speaking their age in Hebrew
- The website Hebrew4Christians is a great source for all sorts of learning and teaching aids. This page in particular is useful for those just starting out.
More Tools to Learn Hebrew
- Our own Craig Peters (see below) has written several articles for those who are trying to learn or improve their knowledge of Hebrew. Learning Hebrew - Featuring Basic Hebrew Prefixes and Suffixes is one such article. (This article was presented as an In-Depth Bible Study at Living Messiah in early 2015)
- This is a fourteen part YouTube Series by Jim Staley (Passion for Truth Ministries) on the Ancient Hebrew Alephbet
Learning Hebrew Together
Some time ago, we conducted a beginning level Hebrew class entitled, "Families Learning Hebrew Together."
There were handouts that accompanied each week's lesson.
For those of you who were unable to receive copies of these handouts, they are available here for you to print out.
These handouts are useful if you are teaching beginning Hebrew to your family or friends or if you are learning it yourself.
We also recorded them on YouTube .
Taught by Matthew
Moons (Blood and New)
Presentations by Mark Webb
Recently, Mark Webb, our congregation leader, was invited to give a presentation on the ancient Hebrew celebration of the New Moon. His presentation was video taped and is available through YouTube . You can view Mark's presentation in five parts by clicking on the links to the right →.
Mark Webb has also developed an Internet presentation entitled, "Blood Red Moons." It is a fascinating look at when in history we've had these curious occurrences.
Click here to view this presentation.
Yeshua in the Tanakh
Tanakh is the Old Testament
Luke 24:13-34 tells the story of two disciples who were walking on the road to Emmaus, talking with each other about the recent death of Yeshua. They were joined on their journey by the resurrected Messiah.
Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.
Listed below are some of the Scriptures in the Tanakh (Old Testament) that Yeshua probably used when speaking with these two men on the road to Emmaus.
10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah,
Nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,
Until Shiloh comes*,
And to him shall be the obedience of the peoples.
* Or Until he comes to Shiloh; or Until he comes to whom it belongs
15 The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him. Deuteronomy 18:15
14 Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel. Isaiah 7:14
6 For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.
7 There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace, On the throne of David and over his kingdom, To establish it and to uphold it with justice and righteousness From then on and forevermore. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will accomplish this. Isaiah 9:6-7
There are many on-line tools available to you as you pursue your own personal Bible study.
You should be somewhat cautious, however, as many websites may contain false or misleading information.
- A detailed and interactive map of ancient Israel at the time of Joshua and Judges. ...
- If you know of any resources that you have found useful, please let us know.